Ranchi, the West-Central
position of the Chota Nagpur Division, is situated at a height of 2,128 feet above
Sea-level, and is the administrative Headquarters of our Jharkhand State.
The District Court was established in the year 1861 and the first
District Judge was major W.H.Oakes.
The present building of Civil Courts, Ranchi was established in
the year 1952. It has five sub-buildings as Main Judicial Commissioner Building, CBI
Fodder Scam Building, Fast Track Court Building, Magistrate Building and Centralised
Filing System Bulding.
Civil Courts, Ranchi is under the Jurisdiction of Jharkhand High
Court w.e.f 15 November, 2000 having 52 Courts including JC Court, Family Court, MVAct
Court, AJC Court, Sub Judge Court, CJM Court, SDJM Court, Munsif & Adln Munsif Court,
Khunti Civil Courts, a Sub-Division under the Judgeship of Civil
Courts, Ranchi is running with 7 Courts including AJC Court, ACJM Court, SDJM Court,
Munsif Court & JM Court.
There is a Video Conferencing Studio in the Main Judicial
Commissioner Building which is used for Video Conferencing. It is connected with the Birsa
Munda Central Jail, Hotwar, Ranchi and the prisoners are produced before the Judges of the
Civil Courts through Video Conference. At present J.C., C.J.M., A.C.J.M., S.D.J.M. and all
Judicial Magistrates of the First Class conduct some of the court affairs like remand,
daily production etc. through Video Conference. This system was inaugurated in the
presence of Honble Mr. Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya, the Acting Chief Justice of
Jharkhand High Court, Ranchi by Honble Mr. Justice M.Y. Eqbal of Jharkhand High
Court, Ranchi on 7th January, 2005.
Now our Civil Courts, Ranchi has a well equipped Computer Cell
with a network of more than 100 systems connected to centralized Server. Individual Court
wise cases are being entered on regular basis and are in the process to generate daily
Cause List with the help of systems and provide related information on Internet which
anyone will be able to access from any location. The Computer Cell was inaugurated by
Honble Mr. Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya, the Acting Chief Justice of Jharkhand High
Court, Ranchi on Saturday, 1st of July, 2006.